As a mother of five children ages 14-22, some of my favorite ways to stay connected with my teens and young adults is through our technology. I don’t necessarily mean a literal connection like always being available to respond or knowing exact geolocation. I mean emotional connection that is enhanced by the tech. This can feel counterintuitive based on how we’ve been taught to worry about screen time and overuse, but it’s actually a practice and philosophy, allowing families to use screens with purpose and the tools of tech for the greater good.
Often we overlook the benefits of our shared technology and the ways our relationships are developed or deepened because of it. I invite families to take a personal inventory into the ways screen use may be benefiting your life, improving connection, or helping create better understanding of one another. Below you will find my own inventory and offerings to using tech to connect.
- Sports Scores & Stories: fandom is a beautiful way to bond and share interests, stay engaged and ride the wave of wins & losses. Of course fandom goes beyond just sports and can be applied to so many areas of culture.
- Music: a release of a new album, found footage on the Internet of an old favorite, a cover from a favorite artist, making a specialized playlist are all fun ways to connect over artistic interests. It’s never been easier to discover and share music together.
- Celebrating Community: sharing local news about friends, schools, universities and community members you know is a great way to connect.
- Hot Topics: cultural and social issues, articles, videos and accounts can be a great way to build emotional and social intelligence. Often, this leads to great discussion points and open dialogue in person.
- Streaming: share a show and watch together, get excited for the release of new episodes or seasons or watch remotely and debrief together.
- Family Group Chats: keeping everyone connected and giving everyone a chance to participate in sharing what’s going on in their own world is a way to strengthen relationships and stay informed on each other’s lives. Also, a great opportunity to get grandparents involved or other extended family members.
- Humor & Cuteness: There is so much content for every style of humor and…