In a hyperconnected world, we all love and need our technology. It’s become a central tool we rely on, so what’s all the talk about Slow Tech when we need our tech fast and efficient? Slow Tech doesn’t mean no tech. It means using technology mindfully and with purpose. It’s a philosophy that bridges conscious living and authenticity together with technology and our familial value systems. Slow Tech Living is an integration of our tech and our humanness. It values process, mentorship, intention, and allows space for play and joy.
Slow Tech Parenting is about fostering real, personal connections and positive experiences in our daily rounds both on and away from the screens. It includes education, communication, awareness, and boundaries to enhance the relationship and experiences online for parents, caregivers, and children. Slow Tech encourages parents and caregivers to take their time introducing tech so there can be practice, process, and learning. Slow Tech is for all ages, encouraging healthy boundaries and fun. Want to give it a try? Try some of these Slow Tech Challenges for the whole family.
Slow Tech Challenges:
- Set a family tech curfew each night & see if everyone can stick to it!
- Challenge your family to enjoy device-free meals.
- Make your car rides device free.
- Get together with another family for a device-free visit.
- Make some space for outdoor play — even if it’s cold!
- Try a new board game.
- Drop Everything and Read A Book!
- Drop Everything and (Video) Game! Let your child teach you a (mobile, PC, or console) game they love.
- Wake up to an alarm clock and enjoy some time in the morning device free.
- Listen to a podcast for the whole family.
- FaceTime a family member or friend who you’ve been meaning to connect with.
- Find a YouTube channel that interests everyone and see what you can learn together.
- Create a family mission statement on what it means to be “Tech Healthy”.
- Get some rest! Take a nap, go to bed early, lounge around, enjoy some space that may otherwise be filled with screen time.
- Play with picture apps, filters, and editing tools to make your photos fun, silly, or fancier than before.